Gifts of Stock or Appreciated Securities
If your investment portfolio includes low-yielding, highly appreciated stock or securities that have held for more than one year you may want to consider gifting them to Tiegerman. Appreciated property can include publicly traded stocks, bonds, mutual funds, closely held stock, commercial property, farms, personal residences or unimproved land.
How it Works
- You transfer appreciated stocks, bonds, or mutual fund shares you have owned for more than one year to Tiegerman.
- Tiegerman sells the securities and uses the proceeds for our mission.
- You receive an immediate income tax deduction for the fair market value of the securities on the date of transfer (even if you originally paid much less for them).
- You pay no capital gains tax on the transfer when the stock is sold.
- Giving appreciated stock can be more beneficial than giving cash. The “cost” of your gift is often less than the deduction you gain by making it.